Tuesday, January 9, 2007

who's attacking now?



So Jeff, I know you're thinking chess is easy, right? You just push the e-pawn, get some development, and then storm the king. But what do you say to the proposition of 2.f5? The Latvian Gambit is more than just cat and mouse, it's instantaneous counterplay that explodes into tactical problems demanding quick resolution. After looking over the possibilities of this opening, I found the move three that I knew was correct but somehow was overlooking all afternoon yesterday. Needless to say, after a week or two with this opening, I think that I will have found a viable answer to the e4 headache...

3 comments:

empty streets said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
empty streets said...

Hmm, the funny thing is, Greg, that after an afternoon of playing the Latvian, I think it has a win percentage of 10%, even less than the 50% achieved by your favorite white opening, King's Gambit.

My response to 2. … f5 is, and shall remain, Bc4.

As you prepare your response, remember: castling kingside with the Latvian is not a good idea, unless you like getting mated!

empty streets said...

oh yeah, and didn't Chris Lolly beat you with the Latvian, too?